1. I am using Xsockets and it requires open ports for incoming messages yet it seems all the ports are blocked. Are there any open ports I can use?

I contacted support and they sent me here.

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Looks like XSockets needs WebSockets in order for it to work. Contact our support department and ask them to Enable WebSockets for you. You also need to be on a IIS 8 server or higher.

As for WebRTC, I don't know if you'll run into any issues with that.

Play around with Xsockets after we have enable WebSockets for you and see if you can use it. This is the first time I've heard of XSockets.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    Michael likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I have had no luck getting it working. Little to no support form the support team either. Sucks because I really thought I had found a good cheap windows host that I could host all my sites on. After a few weeks of back and forth I am not sure what else to do. I think my issue is getting an open port which seems to be impossible with Winhost.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Opening a port or ports for you (or anyone else) can cause problems for the other users of the same server. If we open random ports on a web server, all of the sites on that server will likely fail PCI compliance checks. Since a lot of our users need to process credit card payments, they have to pass those checks. Which means the servers have to be buttoned up.

Having said that, the PCI scans are becoming increasingly strict, so there has been some discussion around here of segmenting out some servers that are kept in compliance with PCI standards, and others that may allow for more flexibility, but would fail a PCI scan. We haven't decided yet whether or not that's going to be an option. We are not anxious to move away from having a single common server configuration. But it may be necessary eventually.