WordPress Installation Guidelines

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by Ray, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ray

Ray

Note: Since this thread was started WordPress has been added to the Control Panel App Installer. You may want to try installing from there before going through the trouble of downloading the app and installing it manually. It's a lot easier...

---

WordPress Instructions

You will need to ensure that the MySQL database is already setup in your Winhost Control panel.
    Refer to this KB article before installing WordPress on our server.
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a830/how-to-create-a-new-mysql-database.aspx

Navigate to WordPress.org and download the latest WordPress application.
    http://wordpress.org/

Follow these guidelines to upload WordPress on our server.

1. Unzip the WordPress file on your local computer.
    2. Upload the files to the root. You can also upload the WordPress files to a subfolder (i.e WordPress)
    3. Go to mydomain.com/wp-admin/install.php and create a wp-config-sample.php.
    a. You will need to know…​
    i. Database Name​
    ii. User Name (DB Login)​
    iii. Password (DB Password)​
    iv. Database Host (MySQL server name)​
    v. Table Prefix (leave at default)​
    b. Click Next and Run the Install.​
    c. Set the title along with the blogs User Name and Password.​
    4. Once WordPress is installed you can log into your WordPress, the initial user name you create is the site administrator. This username cannot be deleted or modified once it is created during the setup process.

Setting up SMTP authentication on WordPress

By default WordPress is setup to use the mail() function to send out email. This function automatically uses the web servers SMTP service. This is an issue since the web servers SMTP service has been disabled.

To use the Winhost SMTP server go to http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/ and download the WP Mail SMTP plugin. Unzip the file on your local computer and upload it to your WordPress /wp-contents/plugins/. Log into your WordPress as the administrator and activate the plugin under the Plugins menu. Set the SMTP authentication inputting the SMTP server assigned to you, the full email address and password as the user name and password. Set the SMTP port to 25.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. If you install Word Press into the root folder then you will receive a strange error message

Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in E:\web\[subdir]\index.php on line 17

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.;C:\PHP\pear') in E:\web\[subdir]\index.php on line 17

The index.php file needs to be edited. The line require('./wp-blog-header.php');

needs to change to

require('wp-blog-header.php');

I am no PHP expert but this seems very strange -- but anyway, it works

3. Ray

Ray

Yeah this is a strange behavior considering index.php and wp-blog-header.php are both on the same folder level. Whats more is if you upload WordPress to a subfolder you do not experience this error.

I can only conclude that "./" works a little differently on IIS then on apache. But its hard to confirm since I only have IIS. I posted it in the WordPress forum but no else has replied to it and confirm it.

4. I've gone through this process a few times now and I get hung up at 3.b. When I click next after setting the MySQL properties Wordpress responds with a message that it couldn't write the wp-config.php file. No big deal, I manually created it and then uploaded it. But then when I click "Run the Install" or just browse to install.php I simply get a blank screen. No errors, no message of any kind. Ideas?

This is the latest WP install, 3.1.

I've set index.php as a default document. I've also deployed a phpinfo.php file to ensure php is running correctly. All good there.

5. That's odd. I just installed 3.1 on an account here on Friday without any file writing or install issues.

Are you running WP out of a directory or in the root or your account? Looks like there are unsolved issues with root installation.

I know it's a pain, but a re-upload of the WP files would be the first thing I would try, just to make sure nothing was lost or corrupted during the first upload.

6. I tried the reupload but I'm working in the root. I'll try pushing to a subfolder instead.

7. Yep, pushed to subfolder and still having the same issue.

8. I just installed word press 3.1 into a blog subfolder and followed Ray's instructions with very little complications. I did get an error in step 3 of Ray's instructions saying it could not connect to the database server when going to the install.php page. At least for me, this was from a copy/paste operation. I pasted in the server name of my01.Winhost.com from notepad and it had a few spaces on the end. I deleted off the spaces and the install.php page then connected fine to my database. So if you are doing a copy/paste operation make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces. Best bet is to just manually type the information. To find out your mysql database connection information, log into your control panel, click on sites, then on mysql databases, then click the manage link by the name of your mysql database. The next page shows all of the connection information accept your password. Your password is the same as your ftp password.

9. ARG.

OK, I started from scratch - all the way back to re-downloading the install. Fired it up and natch, it's all good now. Must have gotten something corrupted on the initial zip download.

When in doubt, reformat and reboot.

10. Ha. Well, glad it worked out in the end.

11. error message

Hello, So I have uploaded the files to a wordpress subfolder but when i try to access wordpress/wp-admin/install.php i get the following error message. Does anybody know what to do??

PHP Warning: require_once(E:\web\mistervi\wordpress/wp-load.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in E:\web\mistervi\wordpress\wp-admin\install.php on line 36
    PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required 'E:\web\mistervi\wordpress/wp-load.php' (include_path='.;C:\PHP535\pear') in E:\web\mistervi\wordpress\wp-admin\install.php on line 36

12. Ray

Ray

Thats odd, this shouldn't happen if uploaded wordpress in a subfolder. The only thing I can thing of is that the file can't be found because not all of the files was uploaded to that subfolder. Make sure it is uploaded. The error lines should tell you what files it cannot find and you can manually check FTP and see if the files are there.

13. Same here

Got a blank screen when browsing index.php and just started from scratch redownload, unzip, delete all from Winhost, FTP it all back to Winhost, and it works perfectly. Who knew?

Walt

14. Ray

Ray

Applications such as Wordpress is very complicated. It calls on so many other files. Unfortunately the best thing to do is to simply start from scratch. The most common mistake when people start from scratch with Wordpress is not wiping out the database. If you don't and you try to reinstall Wordpress, it will give some weird error. The database also needs to be wiped clean.

15. similar problems installing wordpress

I am having similar problems with installing wordpress on Winhost where the "./" is not working correctly to include the appropriate files.

I have wordpress installed in a subfolder however the server is not reading the index.php file when visiting the directory and instead is showing the list of files in the directory.

I hope someone can help me resolve these issues, as I am not too familiar with developing on IIS.

16. Ray

Ray

You'll need to setup index.php as one of your default startup page. Try looking at this thread on our forum. http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=7577

17. Joseph Bazalgette

Joseph Bazalgette King of the sewers...

I've created a database and installed as per instructions but when I goto mydomain.com/wp-admin/install.php i get an 'The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.'

Any ideas?

18. If you're using a windows server, you have to go into every file and remove any './' references... for example... it might say './admin.php', so remove the './'... 'admin.php'

The response I got from support was pretty much it's not their problem... Which seems strange considering you're installing something from their control panel that isn't working properly... and forcing everyone to change it. Maybe a mod can send that info to someone who cares at Winhost.com

Also you need to check out the readme.html in the directory you installed wordpress into

19. No one in this thread used the Control Panel App Installer. If you did and you still had problems, you should start a new thread so we don't mix apples and oranges.

I'm going to close this thread, and suggest that anyone who wants to install WordPress might want to try the Control Panel App Installer before going through the trouble of downloading the app and installing it manually. It's a lot easier...

20. Nice, thank you for this guide!