Word Press installation directory

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by SunnyOz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I just installed WordPress, and created a new MySql database.. all works fine... except I just realised I installed wordpress into a directory called /wordpress (I had left the default field entry when I installed).

Now I realise that is the actual URL for the blog as in www.yourcompany.com/wordpress/. What I really wanted to have is: www.yourcompany.com/abcblog/. :eek:

Can I just change the directory name? Or does that affect all the installation files and possibly the MySQL setup? If I can't just rename.. then does that mean I will have to un-install WP.. and maybe also delete the MySQL? (I don't really mind as I haven't added anything yet, it is just a matter of losing the effort made to date to get it installed correctly.)

If I have to uninstall, are there instructions for that somewhere? Am I potentially inviting a lot of head-aches by doing this? Instead of uninstalling, can I just delete the entire /wordpress directory without any problems?

Thanks for your help!
    SunnyOz

2. You can rename the directory, but put the new directory name in the path in the WordPress config first. Otherwise changing it is going to be a pain.