What connection string do I use from MS Excel

Discussion in 'Databases' started by mtl007, Nov 6, 2009.

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306125

In the sample:
    I tried modifying the connection string from the sample with the appropriate credentials but cannot get it to work. This uses VBA within Excel.

2. Ray

Ray

Did you try this..

strConn = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=YOURDBSERVER;Initial Catalog=YOURDBNAME;User Id=YOURUSERID;Password=YOURPASSWORD;Integrated Security=False; Connect Timeout=15;Network Library=dbmssocn;"

3. Just tried, didn't work. Got a generic error code -2147217887

Is this correct?
    Data Source=tcp:nnn.Winhost.com where nnn is replaced by the information for my account.

Thanks for the quick response.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

Where exactly are you trying to connect from? Are you trying to connect directly form your Excel application on your computer?

5. I am trying to extend the MS Excel VBA application to read /update my database on your SQL server.

6. Ray

Ray

Where is this Excel appilcation at? Is it inside your computer or did you upload it to our server? If it is on your computer you should be able to go to Data/Import External Data and connect to our SQL server.

7. Thanks for the hint. :)

Got it working! I use macro recording and then look into the captured code and port the connection string over to my VBA application and it worked.

For future reference for others:
    strConn = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=yourPassword;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=yourUserId;Initial Catalog=yourDatabase;Data Source=theDatabaseServer;".

If it doesn't work, use the above method to find the connection string. :)

Thanks!

8. Ray

Ray

Cool. Good to hear you got it to work.