WebMatrix Deployment Problem

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Ianae, Jul 2, 2012.

1. So this is my first site hosted through Winhost. I've made a site with WebMatrix, and have tried to deploy it.

When I check the compatibility, two options both show as green (ASP.NET version, Simple HTML page).

I then upload everything, and no errors are reported on my end. When I got to my website, all I see is : ...Website has been successfully set up...Under Construction.

I've read around and a lot of people seem to be having dependency issues, so I'm curious what I've done wrong. I downloaded the publishing settings from my control panel, and it seems to be working.

Thank you for your time, let me know if you need screenshots - or anything - that would make this an easier problem to fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. So I can see a directory, .com/myapp, and it shows all the files and folders. Maybe I have some kind of incompatible site build?\

Edit. When I switched your settings to ASP.NET 4.0, I now get a configuration error. My site is asp.net 4.0 "The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty."

3. Any reply at all would be welcome... I'm really in the dark here.

4. The last error you got means there's a missing SQL connection string, but I feel like the error is likely to be something else.

If possible, can you provide me with a link where I can see the issue? You can PM it to me so it's not public.

5. Thanks for the reply. Here is the link to my website: spectrumtrial.com, and you can see an error here: spectrumtrial.com/myapp

Thanks again.

6. So... any idea? I'm still at a loss.

7. Perhaps it's a settings issue. So here is my entire web.config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
    <remove invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />
    <add invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" name="Microsoft® SQL Server® Compact 4.0" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact" type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />
    </DbProviderFactories>
    </system.data>
    <system.web>
    <compilation targetFramework="4.0" />
    <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Please help. I need to know if I need to relocate hosts again or if this is something simple. Thanks.

8. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  9. Thank you for your response.

10. Okay, with your information I was able to get the site hosted! I have one remaining issue, and that's connecting to my own database. Lets say I have a database called 'MyDatabase.sdf', which contains all of my user tables, and such. How would I go about making that accessible?

Currently, I get an error if I leave the previous initialization string in the _AppStart.cshtml file: WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection("MyDatabase", "UserProfile", "UserId", "Email", true).

The error is that 'The Role Manager feature is not enabled'. If I remove that line of code, I can see my website.

I should figure this out soon just through trial and error, but I wanted to make sure that I don't have to set up another database on your website. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

11. Alright. I figured it out. Here is the resource I used to find a solution.

http://www.asp.net/web-pages/tutorials/security/16-adding-security-and-membership

The first thing I did was change the destination offered from your publish-settings from mywebsite.com/myapp to mywebsite.com. This address several issues.

Then I had to enable Simple Membership, because I guess you guys don't always play nice with ASP.NET. With that, everything seems to work.