VS2010 Web Deploy not working

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by tmcewen, Feb 9, 2011.

1. I have successfully used Web Deploy on my project, following your KB instructions. However when I try to deploy a second time (same deploy settings) I get the following message: --Any suggestions?

Error 2 Web deployment task failed.(Remote agent (URL https://w04.Winhost.com:8172/MsDeploy.axd?site=testanchorcove.com) could not be contacted. Make sure the remote agent service is installed and started on the target computer.)

Remote agent (URL https://w04.Winhost.com:8172/MsDeploy.axd?site=testanchorcove.com) could not be contacted. Make sure the remote agent service is installed and started on the target computer.
    An unsupported response was received. The response header 'MSDeploy.Response' was '' but 'v1' was expected.
    The request was aborted: The request was canceled.
    COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used. 0 0 CoModularWebsiteAsp1

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Do you have a screen shot of your web deploy setup on your VS? Can you provide that for us?

3. Screenshop per your request

Here is a screenshot of my web deploy. WebDeployForWinHost.jpg

4. Ray

Ray

Perform a telnet test to our web server.

Run this in the MS DOS command prompt..

telnet w04.Winhost.com 8172

Send us a copy of the results.

5. Telnet results per your request

Here are two captures. The first shows the telnet command immediately before hitting Enter. The second shows the immediate result (blank command.com screen). Note the was as flash of something after the Enter, but was too fast to see what it was.
    Telnet1ForWinHost.jpg

Telnet2ForWinHost.jpg

6. Ray

Ray

Try running your web deploy again one more time.

7. Ok ran it; Same result, same message.

8. Ray

Ray

I suggest you open a ticket to our support about this. Make sure you give them a full copy of your error message and a screenshot of your VS setup for web deploy. That should make the troubleshooting much faster.

9. Ok I will do that. Thanks. Meantime I'll just do FTP so I can keep going.

10. I was having a problem with this yesterday when trying to deploy to Winhost and another hosting provider. For me quitting VS and starting it up again (maybe after rebooting my machine, can't remember) seemed to clear it up. It works fine today without having to quit all the time. I don't know whether it could be a bug in VS when you enter new WebDeploy settings or if it was something more quirky but it did frustrate me for a while ;-)

11. Ray

Ray

It sounded like the routing tables may have gotten corrupted. Either way, glad to hear things are now working for you.

12. Routing table..

Ray: You may be on to something with the routing tables. I got this same error the second time I tried to publish to an IIS server I'm accessing over a "SecureLink" VPN, which mucks with my routing table.

Restarting Visual Studio fixed this for me.