Transfer Domain and Ownership

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by FrankT, Aug 14, 2016.

1. I am currently admin for a domain that is registered through Aabaco (Yahoo). I would like to transfer the domain registration to WinHost AND transfer the administration to another person.

The domain is indiancave.net . It currently redirects to a basic wix site. I currently pay the registration fee. When the transfer is complete, the new administrator will be responsible for the registration fees.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

2. Transfer the domain first, then change the contact information. If you change the contact information first, most registrars will not let you transfer for 60 days.

3. Great.. piece of cake. I did it. But it seems that Winhost doesn't provide domain forwarding. Am I painted into a corner? How do I redirect indiancave.net to another site that I don't own?

4. Yeah, domain forwarding is not available at the domain level, sorry.

If you add the domain as a Domain Pointer in Control Panel you can edit the DNS and set up a CNAME record to point to another IP address outside of Winhost (the name servers would continue to point to us). But the site has to be available on that IP address, which is something that has to be worked out wherever the site is hosted.

It's more steps than a domain-level forward, but it can work the same way.

5. If I decide to transfer the domain to another registrar, like godaddy (who provides forwarding and masking), must I wait 60 days?

6. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Yes, to transfer a domain anywhere, you'll need to wait 60 days after registration or transfer.