Subdomain question

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by GConnell, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to set up a subdomain, in the way that, for example subdomain.mydomain.com would point to mydomain.com/subdomain, but would still appear in the address bar as subdomain.mydomain.com.

I've tried to use the SubDomain Manager but it is set up to point to the root, so effectively subdomain1.mydomain.com, subdomain2.mydomain.com, subdomain3.mydomain.com, subdomain4.mydomain.com etc will all point to www.mydomain.com.

I had seen that it also creates an A Record to point to the root, I was wondering if I can to edit this in a way, where it would automatically redirect to the sub directory.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

3. I had seen that article, but won't this just redirect the url in the address bar to www.mydomain.com/subdomain or would it stay as subdomain.mydomain.com?

because using the redirect script, what would happen if someone was to enter subdomain.mydomain.com/login.aspx as a url (where login.aspx would not be the default page), or even subdomain.mydomain.com/login/ (where /login/ would be a subdirectory in the subdomain - so technical mydomain.com/subdomain/login/) so redirecting it to the default document of the subdomain subdirectory wouldn't suffice.

I was hoping for ease of use to have it as subdomain.mydomain.com, much like

support.Winhost.com, or forum.Winhost.com, rather than Winhost.com/support or Winhost.com/forum

If this isn't possible, I can use the redirect, but for business cards and advertising having it in the format subdomain.mydomain.com would make things easier

I hope that wasn't too confusing, but what I'm basically asking for is the same functionality the Winhost has itself with forum.Winhost.com, support.Winhost.com etc.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

5. OK Thanks,

That article really helped