Spam, Spam, and more Spam

Discussion in 'Email' started by DowP, Jan 13, 2012.

1. My spam has gone ballistic. I have spam filtering turned on and greylisting enabled. Winhost has directed me to the spam settings page more than once saying that I can control the amount of spam using those settings. I have tweaked them to the best of my knowledge (as seen below). I have done my research but still do not completely understand all of these settings. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these and has reccomendations on how I should change the values?

Current Settings
    Reverse DNS 10
    SPF Pass 0
    SPF Fail 40
    SPF Soft Fail 10
    SPF Neutral 0
    SPF Invalid Record 0
    SPF None 0
    DomainKeys Pass -10
    DomainKeys Fail 40
    DomainKeys None 0
    DKIM Pass -10
    DKIM Fail 40
    DKIM None 0
    RBL: SpamCop 40

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Have you try editing the rules for the spam settings.

You should be able to create a rule in order for the (Spam email messages) never to get delivered depending on the tag: "SPAM-LOW", "SPAM-MED", and "SPAM-HIGH"

You can make a rule to have any email messages with the tag "SPAM-MED" to be automatically deleted and never reach your inbox.

Here are some step by step instructions: (I'm typing this out from scratch) :)

To do this login to the SmarterMail Interface with your postmaster email account. (You can automatically login through the Winhost Control Panel.)

To login automatically into SmarterMail with Postmaster email account via the Winhost Control Panel.
    - First login to the Win Host Control Panel.
    - Click on the "Sites" tab at the top.
    - Click on the manage link next to the web site you wish to manage.
    - The next page should display your Sites Tools
    - Click on the "Email" Box.
    - Click on "SmarterMail Manager" link on the Email Manager Page.
    - This should automatically log you in with the Postmaster email account

Creating a Spam Filtering in SmarterMail
    - Click on the "Settings" button on the left (It looks like a gear icon)
    - Expand the "Filtering" File
    - Click on "Spam Filtering"
    - Click on "Override spam settings for this account"
    - Then click the "Actions" tab at the top.
    - You can now set a rule on what you would like the spam message to do once it has been marked as "Spam Low" "Spam Med" "Spam High".
    -Don't forget to click on the "Save" button at the top once you have completed your rules for Spam Filtering.

The choice is yours. I would have "Spam Med" and "Spam High" to just simply get deleted by selecting the "Delete Message" from the drop down box.

Also you can have the Spam Low message to get automatically get delivered to your Junk Folder by selecting "Move to Junk E-Mail Folder". That way you can always check the junk email folder for any messages that you might need that were accidentally marked as "Spam Low".

You might also be interested in How to automatically clean out email folders

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Read our new blog post. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015