SiteBackup and MS SQL Databases

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by jimnorth55, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Can SiteBackup be configured to include an MS SQL database?

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

[Note: SQL backup is now available.]
    Unfortunately not at this time. What you can do is to use the SQL backup tool that we have in the control panel to make a backup. This will put the SQL backup in your website space. Then the SiteBackup service will backup that file offsite along with the rest of your website.

3. Thanks for the prompt reply. To repeat what I have iterated in support tickets in the past, having the ability to automatically schedule a regular MS SQL DB backup from the control panel would be a major improvement in your already excellent hosting environment. ... just sayin'..

4. Is there a way to automatically back up an MS SQL database every night so that the new backup service will pick up the file. A backup without a database backup is kind of useless.

5. [Note: SQL backup is now available.]
    Not on our end. Not exposed to customers yet, anyway. Of course we do make nightly backups for our own disaster recovery purposes.

It's being worked on for SiteBackup. Backing up a SQL database is a more complicated and involved process than backing up a MySQL database, so we can't say when the ability might be added.

It's not automatic, but you can back up your SQL database with one click. Then, as curtis pointed out, SiteBackup will pick it up.

So automatic, no. Not yet. But still possible.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Elshadriel likes this.
  6. Thanks for the response, will keep watching for the capability. If there is some way to just schedule the current SQL backup capability that would be great. You could backup the database to your website files at 1 am and then the file backup at 2 am. I have been on Winhost for several years now and the service has been great and reasonably priced. I use it for scheduling my group of guys for my golf game of about 28 guys.

7. Our SiteBackup service can now automatically back up your MS SQL databases to the cloud. You’ve always had the ability to back up site files and MySQL databases, but we’re excited to add the ability to back up MS SQL databases. You can order SiteBackup in Control Panel.

SiteBackup is inexpensive (starting at only $2.95 per month for 10 GB of space!) and easy to use. You choose how often you want to back up and how long to retain the backups. Set it and forget it, your backups will be reliably and safely kept in secure cloud storage outside of the Winhost network.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015