Session Timeout Problem/Issue

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by whitesnow, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. rum

rum Winhost Staff

We support only inProc and SQLServer modes to store session information. inProc is used by default. If you want to use SQLServer mode, we will need to install sql session schema to your Winhost SQL Server database, and you will need to update your web.config file according to this Knowledge Base article. Please create a support ticket though our support portal, providing us with your Winhost database name to which you'd like to install sql session schema.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Thanks for the reply here.

I would prefer InProc , rather than SQLServer. It would be better if this issue can be solved without using database. Using SQLServer mode is the last option I would prefer over InProc, if it the only solution.

We are using secondary domain name, as primary domain is not pointing to actual location, but this can't be the problem , as we get session started.

Can there be any service or method to get to issue, any optimization we can to perform , any debugging possible here. I need to get this issue resolved soon.
    Please suggests any limitations & possibilities associated here, may be we can get this resolved.

4. These sessions seem like the bane of Winhost customers. Did you ever get this resolved? I am in the same boat (tried the machineKey and it didn't not help, don't want to upgrade my account just to be able to add a 2nd sql server db and have it not resolve the problem).

5. I'll follow up. It seems that there are 2 parts:

1) generate the machine key
    2) give full trust

6. SQL session state works! (steps included)

I noticed a similar/same problem posted under general troubleshooting and I posted a solution that worked for me if you are interested...

http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=9017

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Please note the following:

We host each website in its unique application pool/process. To ensure server stability we recycle the application if any of the following conditions are met:

1) More than 20 minutes of idle time (no HTTP request in 20 minutes)
    2) The application uses more than 100 MB of memory for the Basic plan and 200 MB of memory for the Max and 300 MB of memory for the Ultimate plan.
    3) The application uses more than 70% of CPU resources for more than 5 minutes

If you are using the InProc and if the application recycles for one of the follow conditions above. Then it is most likely that you will lose your sessions.

If you do not want to lose your sessions then I recommend that you use the SQLServer

As stated before. Please read our knowledge base article on How to enable ASP.NET SQL Server Session on your web application

Please make sure you read the knowledge base article above very carefully. If you can not afford to lose your sessions then using the SQLServer should resolve your issue. If the application pool recycles and you are using the SQLServer sessions. Then you should not lose your sessions.

I hope this is helpful for some of you reading this post :)