Sending through google smtp

Discussion in 'Email' started by elitemike, Feb 4, 2011.

1. My client wants to use google apps, which is fully set up and working, but the site also needs to generate email.

I know the smtp settings that I used for google work because it works locally. Is there something I need to do to allow Winhost to send out through an smtp other than mail.domain? The site is running in full trust already. Is this even possible, or is there a way to still send a message out using mail.viptanning.com without messing up google apps

As i mentioned, the smtp settings work locally, so it's not an issue with configuration as far as google's smtp is concerned

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. are ports 587, and 465 open??????

3. Ray

Ray

I'm not sure what you mean by "using mail.viptanning.com without messing up google apps". mail.viptanning.com is not pointing to us it is pointing to gh.google.com. We do not block out going calls so you are free to use Google's email server to send out email from your web application. If you are having problems connecting to their mail server you may want to contact them and ask them what are the requirements to connect to their email server. I believe they also require SMTP authentication although their format maybe different form us. Furthermore, I believe they require an encrypted SMTP connection so you may need to set EnableSSL on your SMTP element to be set to True. But that is something Google will need to verify for you.

4. Ray,

the question was can i still send out of your smtp servers or do i have to use smtp.google.com

I am currently using

smtp.gmail.com with ssl enabled on port 587, that is what they require. I am set up the way I should be through them, otherwise I would NOT be able to send from my local machine.

Frustration is starting to set in and I don't know what is going on other than to blame your server. I love your service for cost, but documentation is poor.

5. Ray

Ray

Outgoing Ports 587 and 465 is open and I'm not sure what Google's preferred method to send through if you are using a web application. That is why Google is the best source to get that answer. Like I said you have mail.viptanning.com pointing to somewhere else so I don't know if that is correct place. In the bottom line, the failure is not happening within our network it is failing either in the app level because you may not have the correct authentication type or it maybe failing on Google's end. Also, as stated on my last reply that I suspect that Google requires an encrypted SMTP connection so you may need to set that EnableSSL value to True. But that is an assumption we ourselves will not really know, only Google can tell you directly.

Try looking at these links.

http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=3290
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google Apps/thread?tid=2cbb54572fea6939&hl=en

6. Ray, I made a simple test page http://www.viptanning.com/emailtest.aspx

the error is

Security Exception
    Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Net.Mail.SmtpPermission, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

is this something on your end or my end?

I am already on full trust

7. Ray

Ray

8. is that handled but the level set in teh iis control panel?

9. Ray

Ray

Yes, but sometimes the setting don't set it. So if you are going to use the IIS 7 Manager, set the trust mode to Medium, save it, then set it back to Full and then save it.

Just to be clear this tool is not in the Winhost control panel.

10. Right, thats what I did originally, it still didn't work, but hard coding it did work.

Thanks for your help! I am not finished

11. Request for the permission of type 'System.Net.Mail.SmtpPermission System Version 4.0

I'm getting the same error please help:

Request for the permission of type 'System.Net.Mail.SmtpPermission System Version 4.0.0.0 Culture neutral PublicKeyToken b77a5c561934e089' failed.

12. Last edited: Oct 14, 2015