Self-signed certificate support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Elijah Gagne, Dec 1, 2013.

1. I see previous requests for self-signed certificate support, but the threads are closed. It's been a few years, so I'd like to re-open the request because I would benefit from being able to use a self-signed certificate.

On other threads, I've seen responses saying that it would require Winhost to install intermediate or root certificates. That should not be necessary. Self-signed certificates are themselves a root certificate. There is nothing in the chain that is above them.

On other threads, I've seen responses saying that self-signed certificates should not be used for production systems. That's not always the case. For example, Microsoft Exchange allows you to use self-signed certificates on your SMTP hubs in a production environment. This is because the certificates are only used for encryption (not identity validation).

This is all I need a certificate for as well. I do not need clients trust the host's identity. However, I do need the client to server traffic to be encrypted. Using a self-signed certificate would accomplish the encryption I need and it would save me at least $30 a year. The certificate could use a subject name of "localhost" and would be self-signed.

Please consider making this a possibility.

Thanks!
    -EWG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015