Redirect external domain to subdirectory

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Rainier9, Jun 27, 2015.

1. I'm trying to achieve the following 2 tasks:

1. Redirect a domain name from Godaddy to a subdirectory of a Winhost site. In this case, I need the new domain to mask the subdirectory domain. Example:

///PRIOR REDIRECT
    foo.mySiteDomain.com redirects me to my site.
    foo.mySiteDomain.com/About redirects me to the About page of my site.

//AFTER REDIRECT
    newDomain.com redirects to foo.mySiteDomain.com
    newDomain.com/About redirects me to the About page of my site. Without letting users know that the physical(?) path of the subdirectory is "foo.mySiteDomain.com/About", in other words, the "foo.mySiteDomain" would never appear.

2. Redirect a subdomain to a subdirectory, without letting the user know the physical path of the domain.
    For example, right now I have the domain app-rd.com and a subdirectory called "funbru". I also set up a subdomain in the form of "funbru.app-rd.com". I created a default file in my root folder that redirects "funbru.app-rd.com" to "app-rd.com/funbru" BUT when the redirect finishes, it presents the following address:
    funbru.app-rd.com/funbru
    is there any way I can just make it so it seems as
    funbru.app-rd.com
    and if I go to the About section of the page it goes to funbru.app-rd.com/About, for example?

Thank you.

2. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

Once you point the domain name over to our server and added the domain pointer in the CP, you can setup URLRewrite to archive what you want.

Michael likes this.
  3. Any Tutorials that could help me achieve that? Specially the part of redirecting a domain to a subdirectory and making it so the URL doesn't change (unless you go to a route of the app ofc)

4. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

5. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    Michael likes this.