Receive Email to Pointed Domain?

Discussion in 'Email' started by BlueEyedDev, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Curious how to do this -

I want to port a number of domains over to my new Winhost account but I need to know if this can be done before I try (since they are currently in regular use - can't break anything).

Say I currently have SomeDomain.com hosted over at another host. I can send emails to that domain, for example [email protected].

Over here at Winhost, my primary domain is MyWinhostDomain.com. I can create POP accounts & users easily for anything *@MyWinhostDomain.com.

If I were to point SomeDomain.com to my Winhost site, how can I create accounts/mail settings/MX/domain settings, etc. so that I can still send emails to [email protected] without having to create corresponding accounts for every account currently existing elsewhere?

I know you can create email aliases but my understanding is, the aliases have to point to existing accounts of the same name on the primary domain (MyWinhostDomain.com in this example).

Help would be appreciated - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

3. Right, this bit here is the problem:

This is something easily done at other webhosts so I am at a loss to why it doesn't happen on Winhost. I imagine it's simply a question of correct MX settings but it's a bit beyond my general knowledge.

4. Ray

Ray

I think what you are looking for is to give domain pointers their own email POP accounts. This will increase our operational cost. Keep in mind that POP accounts actually take up and accumulate space along with server resources.

5. Strictly speaking, that isn't really what I want. I couldn't care less if the user has to change their Outlook settings to change the mail server. What I don't want to happen is they stop receiving email :) So a simple... "virtual?" address would suffice. Sort of like a redirect.

Is this possible?

6. Ray

Ray

This should be possible. The domain pointer does forwarded to an existing POP account so long as that POP account exists.

7. Thanks for the help Ray, will see what I can dig up.