Problem Connecting to MS SQL 2012 DB From Management Studio

Discussion in 'Databases' started by mestrupp, May 6, 2014.

1. Hello,

I realize that I am probably making a rookie error here, but for some reason, I am unable to connect Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to a test database I set up on my Winhost SQLMgrError1.jpg SQLMgrError2.jpg website.

I keep getting the message "Connection Refused". I have attached the error message received, as well as the configuration settings I have used to connect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to fixing this?

Thanks!

2. Thanks for the screen shots, try changing "Connect to Database" to "<default>" and "Network Protocol" to "<default>" in Connection Properties.

Also it wouldn't hurt to try the following telnet tests to make sure the required ports for SSMS to connect to your SQL Server are open:

telnet s10.Winhost.com 1433

And

telnet s10.Winhost.com 14330

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve this issue yet.
    One question: I can't even PING the s10.Winhost.com server from my development machine.
    Is that a red flag, or is that not relevant here?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Problem solved. It turns out that we had to configure our network to allow us to access ports 1433 and 14330. Thanks for all of your help!

ComputerMan likes this.
  5. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Thanks for the follow up!

6. Hello, I am having the same issue. I tried those telnet tests and it said "Could not open connection to the host"

Unfortunately, I am still noobish and not sure of what steps to take to resolve the issue. I did some research and enabled TCP/IP protocol using the SQL Configuration Manager, but that wasn't enough.

7. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Joe,

The error you got usually means that your antivirus/firewall software/hardware is blocking the connection. You need to open up port 1433 to allow SQL Server Management Studio to connect. If you're not sure how to do that, you can temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall in order to connect.

Michael likes this.
  8. Got it connected. Thank You!

Michael, ComputerMan and Elshadriel like this.