Porting MSSQL/MySQL DBs to WinHost

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am considering Winhost and need to know what options I have for porting existing MSSQL and MySQL databases from my old Host. Right now I have the MSSQL DBs packaged using Red Hat SQL Packager 6 and have successfully installed these DBs in my local MSSQL environment (so I know the packages are intact and working). Can I connect remotely to DBs hosted on Winhost to install these DBs?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

For MS SQL 2008 we have a Restore/Backup tool in the control panel to upload your local SQL database to our SQL 2008 server. Try looking at this kb article.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a771/how-do-i-generate-or-restore-a-backup-of-my-database.aspx

If you have MySQL database you should be able to create .SQL file (SQL Script) on your local database and run it against our SQL server. The .SQL file will create and restore all the objects and data that is on your local server to our MySQL server.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Mixed MySQL and MSSQL databases

If we choose the MAX or ULTIMATE plans, do we have to choose one database or the other, or may we mix and match as needed for our application?

4. Ray

Ray

You can mix and match as needed.

5. Ray

Ray

What do you mean? Are you asking if you can connect to a different database other than Winhost?

6. Ray

Ray

I'm afraid not. What sounds like you are trying to do is get a only SQL hosting. We offer SQL as part of the package but the main service is web hosting. You can however order the web service and enable your SQL without uploading the web pages to us. It is up to you to upload your web pages when you think the time is right.