Point Externally Hosted Subdomain at Winhost

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by Ted Medler, Apr 24, 2017.

1. I am hosting a domain, including DNS at another provider. I have created two subdomains to that domain that I would like to point at my Winhost web space.

When signing up for Winhost, I used a "dummy" externally hosted domain in order to complete the signup process.

I had no trouble setting this up and hosting the subdomain sites on EC2 through IIS. I do not want to purchase separate domains to host the subdomain sites on Winhost. Is what I am wanting to do even possible with Winhost? It will be a non-starter if I have to host the parent domain at Winhost as well.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Ted,

You can do this here at Winhost. Just change the primary domain name on the account to one of the sub-domain names you want to host. Then add the second sub-domain name as a domain pointer. Then create DNS "A" records for the sub-domains that point to the IP address of the server at your registrar. Then you'll need to use URL Rewrite to redirect the sub-domain names to the correct folder. More information can be found here in this Knowledge Base article.

Michael likes this.
  3. That worked. Thanks