Paypal

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, May 26, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Would you consider using Paypal? Because I am in the UK my bank charges £1 to convert dollars to pounds.

2. Ray

Ray

It is being discussed on the table about accepting this payment method but nothing has been set in stone yet.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the reply Ray. It would certainly benefit me the customer but probably not you because I believe there is a transaction charge.

4. Ray

Ray

Actually the biggest challenge I believe is automating the payment. So far from what I understand, every month before the billing cycle ends, you as the customer will have to initiate they payment transaction through pay pal. There's no way our system can actually my a call to pay pal query your pay pal account and initiate the payment. Unlike a regular credit card our system can automatically charge the credit card with out further actions from the customer. With pay pal its a little different, and we didn't want to impose that burden on the customer to always go to pay pal every month and initiate that payment transaction. Thats one challege we are facing, there are others of course.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

6. Thanks, but that does not dovetail with our billing system. There are a lot of billing variables in an account here.

We're still looking at PayPal, but I wouldn't expect it to be something we will be able to implement soon.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok not to worry. Looks like it won't be a goer.

I will have another look at trying to avoid the charge. I don't fancy paying £12 a year just for my bank to convert pounds to dollars.

8. Which bank are you with? I'm in England, use Barclays and they charge me £3.56 and I don't think they charge any extra fees.

To be honest even if they did charge me an extra £1 I'd still be happy with Winhost.

My original site is with www.trustedwebhost.com but their support seems to have disappeared, I can still access the site and I have an application that hopefully my users will download, as they have unlimited bandwidth I will host it on their website, then I don't have to worry about running out of bandwidth.

As a suggestion to Winhost I might ask that you consider to offer unlimited bandwidth, then if you get any real bandwidth hogs you could deal with them individually like 'i know we advertise unlimited bandwidth but we feel that you may be abusing this' etc.

I suppose you'd need to look at your logs to come to an informed decision.

It is just that my application being a massive 500k (half a meg) if I host it on your site then I am not sure if my bandwidth allocation will run out and people won't be able to install it.

Its the 'unsure' bit that this would be addressing.

ian

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  9. We'll never do that.

As you know, there is no such thing as "unlimited" bandwidth, since every host on earth will shut down anyone who tries to use more than their hidden quota. And they do have quotas, all the "unlimited" hosts. You just don't know what they are. How does that benefit the user? Operating in the dark like that. Not knowing how much is too much until they pull the plug on you. There's a lot more uncertainty in that situation than there is in knowing your limit and being able to monitor your use.

I know it's fashionable to tout unlimited resources in a hosting sales pitch, but it's never true, and we aren't going down that road.

10. Clive

Clive Guest

I read that you are looking into the possibility of accepting PayPal payments. If it's a groundswell of customers you're after, could I register my interest in that?

I understand that there are issues in automating monthly payment cycles. But it would be *enormously* easier for me to use PayPal than a credit card - even if it meant having to remember to pay you manually each month.

Cheers.

11. Thanks for weighing in. It's still under consideration.