Not able to change Password strength requirements

Discussion in 'Email' started by Ed C, Jun 10, 2015.

1. I am planning to migrate my email users to a new Winhost MAX account. The default password strength for new email users requires a special character. I need to disable this one requirement to avoid having all my users change their password. The SmarterMail documentation refers to a Security Icon that I cannot find. Does Winhost run a version of SmarterMail that is modified to omit this feature. This could turn into a real painful conversion......

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Ed,

No. I'm afraid not. We changed the requirement a couple years ago because too many of our customers accounts were being compromised resulting in a lot of spam emails getting sent out which in turn resulted in our email servers getting blacklisted (a lot). This ultimately affects the delivery of email for everyone. It is actually in your best interest that we do not lift the requirement. I think if you politely explained that to your end users, they would understand.

Michael and ComputerMan like this.
  3. Understood, and we're sorry about that. Increasing security is always painful, but as Elshadriel mentioned, it's in everyone's best interest.

If we (and most other sites and providers around the Internet) didn't force the implementation of certain changes, a large percentage of people would never change anything, and that's a recipe for disaster. We see exploits and hacks every day, unfortunately, so while it may have never happened to you personally, the dangers are very real and very current.

We're seeing the same thing with SSL certificate security now, where Google is using their clout as the leading browser provider to force the change of certain security practices. Those changes cause a lot of trouble and extra work around here, so we know what it's like to be in your shoes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015