Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Databases' started by cvegas, Oct 1, 2010.

1. I have a local access 2007 application and would like to copy my existing tables into the sql 2008 data base I just created at my site.

I am able to connect to the DB via SQL Server Manager so I apparently have the connection string correct.

Being new at this I just don't know what other posts are saying about publishing, transferring mdf files, etc., etc.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to get my existing access tables imported into a db on my server?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ray

Ray

3. Thank you for leading me in this direction. I will look at the links and see if they might solve the issue I have now.

Since I was able to connect I tried exporting from my access application to the sql db.
    Most worked fine but I am getting an issue on my main table that has the following error.

OBDC--call failed
    [Micorsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]
    error converting data type varchar to datetime. (#8114)

I clicked on the help file for this but did not see anything with this error code.

Again thanks for leading me in this direction.

4. Ray

Ray

The error most likely means the data you have in your Access database which probably looks like date is really not setup as a date format when you try to move it over to SQL with the data type being Date.
    You have two options, either do not transfer that data or go to your Access database and update the data to fit the data type of Date. Or you maybe able to simply import it to SQL as a varchar not as a date data type.

5. I have downloaded the access 2008 migration wizard and got it registered. I am getting the same error as when I tried to use the upsizing wizard from Access 2010.
    One of the internal SQL statements failed.
    CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Is there some permission I need to set on the server? If so where?

Thanks again

6. I have completed the import into my sql db.
    Tons of errors that I need to look at but 1 less step to accomplish.

Thanks again for your help.