Multiple domain names

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by zaaaaphod, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi,

This might be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I'd like to have multiple sub domains pointing to one application directory. My application will examine the incoming URL and render differently.

eg
    www.abc.com
    www2.abc.com
    dev123.abc.com

www.XYZ.com
    www2.xyz.com

This is possible without using anything like domain pointers isn't it? Assuming that I'm running a single codebase?

Thanks very much,

Z

2. Ray

Ray

This is kind of a tricky question because I'm not sure if these domain names are the main domain name to a site account. I am assuming they are. If they are you will need to go into your Winhost control panel/Site Info Manager/Subdomain Manager and create these subdomain names. This will create the host header names and the proper DNS records.
    To force these subdomain names to open their own site you will need to setup a redirect script handling these subdomain name calls.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Thanks Ray.

I think that this will work, but I don't think that I'm trying to do what you think I am.

To summarise:
    - The main domain to my site account will be "mysite.com"
    - I have only one codebase - all in the same directory
    - I have two SQL databases that hosts two versions of the same app dev and prod
    - www.mysite.com goes to the code base which directs it to the PROD db.
    - dev.mysite.com goes to the code base which directs it to the DEV db. (by examining the host headers)
    - www.mygermansite.com goes to the code base, which connects to the prod db but renders the pages in German.
    - dev.mygermansite.com connects to dev and renders in German.

In any case - I think that this should all work. The only disadvantages that I can think of is that www.mygermansite.com might not have "full services" from you because it's not the primary domain for the site (can you let me know what they'd be missing?)

The other option would be to create two sites with you so that mysite.com and mygermansite.com were both the "main" domain for their respective sites. However, if I set it up this way, could they both connect to the same SQL database? We need to store data in a common place for reporting.

Thanks for your help :)

4. Ray

Ray

The down side with a domain pointer is that it does not have its own web space, ASPNet IUSR, application pool, or even its own email. That only comes with a full Site Account.

If you think that this web site will be an important part to your business you may want to register it as its own Site account but pick the Basic plan. Furthermore we do have an affiliate program that can help off set the cost. Try looking at this link.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/c212/affiliate-program.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thanks.

Unfortunately I signed up a new site before reading about the affiliate program :-(

6. Ray

Ray

You can always cancel the site account and since you are within our 30 day money back guarantee get your money back. Once it is fully canceled sign up again with the same domain name but this time use the affiliate program. What ever works for you and what ever will help you save money.