MS Access Database on ASP platform, require some assistance please?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by fabrizio, May 21, 2014.

1. Hi Gang, Im a new client at Winhost and looking for some help.

I am the administrator for a MS Access database that is web-enabled. Its a simple search tool for an industrial client of mine. I am not a programmer but I have an extensive web-based background. I have a copy of the database currently working on an another ASP hosting service, but I am now trying to get the same files running on Winhost's ASP platform (so it will act as a mirrored database site).

when I do a test search, for example: search for "123" I get an error like this:

Database Results Wizard Error

The database connection named 'MTR' is undefined.

This problem can occur if:
    * the connection has been removed from the web
    * the file 'global.asa' is missing or contains errors
    * the root folder does not have Scripting permissions enabled
    * the web is not marked as an Application Root

- Can anyone offer some help? Im afraid the original programmer is long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im sure its a simple fix for an ASP expert, which I am not.
    thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

What's the URL that is generating the error? And I'm not sure what you mean by "mirrored". I've never heard of any mirroring capabilities for Microsoft Access.

3. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

4. Hi, thanks for trying but this does not help since Im not a programmer. These links mean nothing to me. Was looking for someone to actually fix this issue.

5. no help with programming = account closed.

6. Web host != web developer.

I'm sorry we couldn't give you the development help you need. We would love to personally help everyone who needs it, but the reality is if we did that kind of site development and programming we would have to double the price of an account in order to maintain a small staff of developers who were solely dedicated to working on customer sites.

There are certainly smaller hosts who will gladly dig into your site code (I wouldn't want that, but maybe that's just me), but on our scale, that kind of hosting-unrelated "side work" isn't sustainable.

And even if we did hire customer-focused development staff, I'm pretty sure that development work would come at a cost separate from the hosting fee. That would be the only way to justify it.

Again, I'm sorry we couldn't help you. I hope I've explained why.

ComputerMan, mestrupp and Elshadriel like this.