Moving Domain to New Site

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by Chad Ponder, Feb 6, 2014.

1. I initially setup a website with a basic plan, using a test site and a brand new domain name. The site is a success, and I need to 'upgrade' to a Max plan in order to take advantage of SSL. At the same time, I'd like to get rid of my test site id (yeah, it shouldn't matter, but we're in this for a long haul so we want to do it right).

Here's my current setup. (The 'mybrand' is an example):

Domain: mybrand.com
    Associated Site Login (site id): testsite
    Plan: Basic

What I'd like to do is 1) change the site id and 2) upgrade it to Max. However, I can't find how to change the site id, and I suspect it can't be done. If that's the case, I'd like to create a brand-new Max site -- but in order to sign that up, I need the domain which is already in use. Could I do something like this?

1) Create a new Max site using a spare domain name.
    2) Set the web application up just like the original, so both are identical.
    3) Switcheroo the domain names. Users would see no service interruption.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael likes this.
  2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

You can't change the site ID since our provisioning system will not allow this.

Since you stated you are willing to open another site account in order to use a different Site ID then you will need to go ahead and open the other site account with a fake domain name. (However the site ID will be matched with the fake domain name. So make sure you use a fake domain name related with the real domain name you wish to use.) The system will grab the first 8 charters of the domain name.

So for example if your domain name is: mybrand.com you should use the fake domain name as mybrand1.com

Then when you're ready to switch the domain names you will first need to change the domain name under the first account to a fake domain name. Then change the domain name for the second account to the real domain name.

"Users would see no service interruption."

They will see some disruption but I don't think it will last very long. It will take at lest 1 hour for the DNS propagation to be updated. In some cases it can take 24 - 48 hours but from what I've seen it only takes 1 hour.

Michael likes this.