Migrate Wordpress(linux) to Winhost

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by 0018542, May 30, 2012.

1. I migrated wordpress from linux hosting to Winhost.
    Changed URL in db.
    When I try to open my site (any page) I get error "Remote server or file not found"
    Help me please

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. What does that mean?

Have you set up a database on the Winhost account and migrated the data from the previous installation?

Have you updated wp-config.php?

You might want to review this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  3. I replaced domain in MySql and updated wp-config.php.
    So actually I have connection to DB, because if I change db information in wp-config.php I get error connection to db, but if wp-config.php updated correctly I get just blank-white screen of any pages in Mozila, or 'Remote server or file not found' in Opera.

home, siteurl updated too with new domain

in IE - HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You might need to enable Detailed Errors to reveal the true error that is being thrown:

1) Log into your site using IIS7 Manager by following the instructions in this Knowledge Base article:

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

2) Double click on the Error Pages module to open it.
    3) On the right hand side, click on Edit Feature Settings...
    4) Check Detailed errors and click on OK.

Then go back to WordPress and see if you get a different error message.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Thank you very much for your help.
    I did as you recommended, but in IIS7 Manager was marked detailed errors already.
    I've tried two other options(Custom error pages, Detailed errors for local requests), but no success, same error and no any additional information, just 500 Internal Server Error
    And so I can't find the reason of the error

6. If you know the database connection is working then it has to be a configuration issue. There are only two database entries for the path (URL).

If you're sure those are correct you might want to try deleting your WordPress installation (back everything up first, of course), using the app installer to do a fresh install, then copying your existing database over to the fresh install.

If you do that and still get the blank pages, something is wrong with your config in the database.

7. Thank you very much for your help.
    Yes, I think too, something wrong with config in the database, because the configuration was done under Linux hosting, but how to know where and what exactly not correct.
    Probably something wrong with the root paths.
    I changed the root path at two places in the database, but it still does not work
    Right now the site works fine under linux hosting with different domain.

8. If you're using relative paths as those root paths, you can try using the full URL instead.

E:\web\winhblog\blog --> http://Winhost.com/blog/

If you're using the paths, the path on Winhost would be: E:\web\youracct\blog\ (where "youracct" is your FTP username and "blog" is the subdirectory your WordPress installation is in).

I'd try using the full URL and see if that works. Your domain has to point to the account here for that to work, of course.

9. I changed E:\web\myacct\blog\ to http://mydomain/blog/ but doesn't help.

If I remove the wp_options table from WP DB then automatically starting first screen of the installation process. With this table just 500 Internal Server Error

10. It sounds like you're doing a lot of direct alteration of the database, so it's not really possible to determine what might be going wrong.

I would still suggest deleting your WordPress installation (back everything up first, of course) and using the app installer to do a fresh install, then copying your existing database over to the fresh install.

11. I deactivated all plugins on the Linux server and uploaded DB again without plugins configuration in it and site works fine, no error.
    Now I am going step by step to activate plugins and will see which one gives the error.
    Thanks for your help