Microsoft Access front end - SQL Server back end

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Davis DeBard, Apr 22, 2014.

1. I have an application with a Microsoft Access front end, connected to a SQL Server database as the back end. Inquiry on a support ticket told me they don't know how to accomplish this, and that I should ask in the forum. In Windows, of course, I use ODBC drivers. Could someone help me do this in Winhost? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I wrote a blog here.

3. Your blog shows how to use an ODBC connection in Access. That I'm well familiar with. What I was looking for is how to host both Access and SQL Server inside Winhost, so that someone can see my application online. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Thank you very much.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yes. I'm afraid that is not possible, or at least, I don't know of a way. Access is a "console" application. The only way that I can think of making this work would be with WebDAV, but then I don't think you could secure it.

Michael likes this.
  5. The blog shows how to establish an ODBC connection between front and back end. It doesn't tell me if the connection is encrypted or if the data stored in the database is encrypted. Is encryption possible? Is is an option on the creation of the database?

What form of security governs this type of connection?