Mail Performance This Week?

Discussion in 'Email' started by DJGray, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Does it seem to anyone else that email server performance has just tanked this week? It seems intermittently, painfully slow.

2. Example: I just got a toaster alert from Windows 10 that I had a new mail item and knowing from whom it came, I wanted to read it immediately. I clicked the item in my inbox (already open) and it took 45 seconds of the spinning gif to open a mail item that should have opened in less than a second.

It's not all of the time. It's intermittent and seemingly random. It's as though everything is fine and then suddenly there is a DOS attack against the mail server.

Am I the only one seeing this?

3. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Are you using the web browser to view your email messages? Or an email client?

We didn't have a DDoS attack.

4. Yeah, I didn't word that well. I'm not suggesting there is/was a DOS attack, but just that that's the behavior.

I"m using a chromium browser to get my mail. It's been fine till about a week ago, maybe less. And it is fine MOST of the time, but about four or five times a day, I'll click a new mail arrival to see it in the preview pane on the right and the gif will spin and spin for 30 to 50 seconds before actually displaying the contents of the mail item. There must be a pattern to it, but at the moment I cannot discern what that is.

5. Is anything being done to look into this? It's becoming quite an annoyance.

I have an excellent internet connection. No performance issues elsewhere. I'm running a Intel Core i7 system with 32 gigs of RAM - lightning fast. Yet it takes 45 seconds for a WinHost email to open. Once that happens, I'm fine opening subsequent mails, but if I leave the mail (don't close it - just do some other work for 10 mins or so) and come back, we are back to the 45 second wait while the mail decides to open. This was NOT happening until a few weeks back. This is new behavior.

6. I got a response from WinHost Support:

We are aware that with recent update released by SmarterTools - the developers of SmarterMail - the webmail performance degrade and some other minor issues appeared. The SmarterTools are aware of those issues and working to resolve it. Hopefully, with the next update they release the issues will be fixed or improved.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Dmitri G.
    Winhost Support