Local Access Front-End to SQL Server Back-end

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Guys,

Looks like great packages and great pricing - hope it is what I am after!

I am an Access developer in the initial stages of developing "long-range" or internet accessible apps referencing a central DB.

Whilst I understand that ASP.NET is the preferred approach I only have a small group of users and would prefer to stick with an Access front-end.

I understand that a local Access system can be set up to point to an SQL Server database with a fixed IP address. My database is quite small, as is the throughput and I am wondering if your MAX membership would cover such a setup ?

Regards,
    Joe

2. Ray

Ray

Not sure what you mean by...

I understand that a local Access system can be set up to point to an SQL Server database with a fixed IP address.

Are you trying to get your Access database to connect to our SQL server?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Ray,

Yes, an MS Access front-end holding forms and reports on the local machine, linked to tables and views on your hosted SQL Server.

Regards,

Joe

4. Ray

Ray

5. If you want to use Access as a front end to SQL Server you simply create a new database project named *.adp and you will be prompted for the datalink properties (ie. server name, username, password, database name). I have done this successfully using Access 2003, 2007 and 2010 to SQL Server 2005 express and 2008.