Is it possible to use MVC 3?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by sjweiler, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Per title does Winhost support mvc 3 yet? MVC 3 was released by Microsoft, I believe, on jan 13.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

If what you are asking is if we have the MVC installed on the GAC then no I'm afraid we don't, but you should be able to upload the assembly to the applications Bin folder and have your application reference it from there.

3. I wonder why MVC libraries aren't installed in GAC? In such case thousand of hosting applications which use MVC 3 must copy shared libraries locally, I don't see any sense for such approach.

I am using basic plan hosting on Winhost.com. My account id=0011752
    I've uploaded simple mvc 3 application to the server and got an error: system.web.helpers.dll couldn't be loaded. After I uploaded all referenced assemblies into the server I've got:
    Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.WebPages.Razor, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
    I copied this assembly too, site is working now but I am not sure that it will continue work when I try to use some specific feature of MVC 3 which is contained in the assembly I didn't copied to the server.

Eugene Safronov.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

There are several versions of MVC and all our customers can use any one of them. Rather than risking the possibility of conflict between the different MVC versions and to reduce labor cost in constantly upgrading the MVC assemblies, we decided to allow our customers bin deploy it. That way there are not conflicts between the other sites we host.

5. Ray,
    Thank you for an update. I see now. Only suggestion I have to update knowledge base in a way there will be information in a one place how to configure deployment with all required references for MVC 3, 2, 1. Some sort of how to. It will help to move into right direction.

6. I agree

I have to second this idea. I specifically came to this forum to troubleshoot my MVC 3 issues.

Thankfully now I know what to do but it would be a good idea to mention the need to have to do this in the Knowledgebase somewhere. (If you haven't already updated it..)

7. I notice you've done this already. My apologies.