Installing Applications

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Is it difficult to install applications like DotNetNuke or WordPress? What about other applications like Forum software (not sure if DNN or WP have forum/bbs software included)?

I'm intested in your service because I'd like to study ASP.NET programming, run some pre-made applications, and learn more about IIS7.

Thanks-
    Scott

2. Ray

Ray

The word "Difficult" is subjective. What is difficult for some maybe easy for others.

In general all web application installation is done through FTP. But in the web application itself you need to set the correct connection string, trust level, and appropriate framework. All these of course if you have never done it before can be complicated and daunting.

My only suggestion is first and foremost read all the documentation before you start with any web application. Every web application should have one. If you can't find one, contact the vendor and they should be able to provide one for you.

Second, one of the most common things overlooked is backup. Keep a good backup. If you make modifications to a web application you may not be able to revert back. Simply uploading a good backup to the server will take care of that.

Lastly, start off with the most basic settings with each web application. Go through the web application first and get a feeling for how it works. Some people want to install new themes to there blogengine software or enable Captcha on it, without knowing how the application really works. Then when they make changes to it everything breaks and they don't know what they did. Take baby steps first, learn and familiarize yourself with the functionality and usage of your web application. Then once you are comfortable (and you have a good backup), then start improving it and make changes to it.