Iis manager and windows 10 problems

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by dlature, Jun 2, 2016.

1. I have tried numerous avenues to be able to use iis manager to connect to my site using windows 10. WinHost support told me to add it to my Windows features, which I did. but it was missing the "Connect to" options. Then WinHost told me I needed IIS remote administration. Then in trying to get that onto my machine, the straight Install aborted and said that it was not available for a 64 bit operating system. I then found a set of instructions for installing it by first installingvthe Microsoft Web Platform Installer....that too produced an error. It looks as though Microsoft moved or deleted the files needed to complete the install of IIS Remote Administration 1.2
    So have they abandoned this for windows 10? I sure would like to be able to get back to being able to change and add settings on my site!

2. I don't think they've updated IIS Manager in 2 or 3 years, so Windows 10 compatibility might not be something they've addressed yet. I don't know if we have any machines on the tech support side running Windows 10 at the moment, but if we do maybe we can see if an install is possible.

3. Thanks, Michael! I will be interested to see what you find out! Still looking for what I can do to get connected again!

4. Ok, I discovered that the file to use was the one that had "amd" in its name, which I had not paid any attention because I assumed it was for AMD-processor based systems. But come to fkind out that xxx_amd64_yyy files are for both AMD and Intel. Go figure. Has to do with AMD inventing 64-bit, and Microsoft just kept the amd64 name. So I installed this one, and after several "Signature" dilaog popups on several componenent files it prompted me to install for the server to which I was connecting, the install completed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Elshadriel and Michael like this.
  5. Thanks for posting that info, I'm sure it will help others.