how is this possible?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by jwalker, Jan 25, 2011.

1. i signed up a new account with Winhost.
    when asked if i was going to be registering a new domain or using an existing one, i indicated i was going to use an existing one.
    i MEANT to type "guitaruniversity.com" but accidentally typed "guitarlessons.com"

now......."guitarlessons.com" is an existing site owned by someone else.

so how did it let me do this?

and since "guitarlessons.com" is owned by someone else.....what will happen?

i don't want to interrupt their site!

btw.....
    i contacted support and told them about my mistake and they said
    "nothing we can do......you'll have to sign up again"
    :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

The account registration form does not check if the domain name exists or if it is owned by you. That is something you are responsible to do before you use a domain name to sign for an account. If you were to choose new domain then it would have taken you to another page where you can register the domain name. Now, bear in mind that a web hosting service is different from a domain name registration. Both process are completely different.

If you registered an account and it is the wrong domain name there is nothing Winhost can do. Because the domain name is hard coded with the account. All you can do is cancel the old site account with the wrong domain name and register a new site account with a correct domain name. But before you do that first you will need to determine if the domain name you are going to use to register the account is open to the public or if it is already registered by someone else. Use this link to determine that. It is a link to a whois lookup. It is a method to check on the availability of a domain name.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. guitaruniversity.com has been registered since 1999.