FileZilla - File/Directory Permissions

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by jaa17, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hi,

1. I am in FileZilla. I right click on a web site file or directory and want to change the permissions so users cannot read/write or exacute a file.

When I do it nothing seems to happen? The rwx bits seem to stay the same. Any idea what I might be doing wrong.

2. Also, if a user on my website types in a DIRECTORY, they are presented with a list of files in that directory. Is there any way of stopping this?

3. Google Webmaster seems to be saying it thinks mysite.com and www.mysite.com are different. When I type both these things into internet explorer they both correctly go to www.mysite.com/index.aspx. Why is Google confused?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Ray

Ray

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to password a directory? You cannot change the permissions using a FTP client.

Yes. You can disable directory browsing. Connect to the server using IIS 7 Manager.
    http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a628/using-the-microsoft-iis-70-manager.aspx

Once you are connected go to Directory Browsing and disable it.

Unfortunately this is how Google works. You may need to setup a 302 redirect script so that mysite.com points to www.mysite.com. You may want to look at the URL Rewrite module in IIS 7 Manager.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. You can also tell Google to only index your site with or without www. It's a setting in webmaster tools.