Error Pages - 404 / IIS Manager

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Bobter, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Hi,

I'm trying to set up my custom error pages for 404 etc.

The code in my config is

<customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="FileNotFound.aspx">
    <error statusCode="403" redirect="FileNotFound.aspx" />
    <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.aspx" />
    </customErrors>

but it doesnt seem to be working, when i log onto IIS Manager to try and assign it I get the attached error when I click on the error pages option.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Yeh that's what he did and he got the error in the screenshot he provided, i get the exact same error but i just gave up after a while on it because it isn't essential.

But if it can be fixed it would be nice, i even tried adding it into the web.config manually and it still didn't seem to work.

4. Ray

Ray

Sounds like IIS Manager was not installed on the computer correctly. If you are using Vista or a higer version of OS, try uninstalling and re-installing IIS 7.

5. thats a bit drastic.

I don't need to use IIS 7 to do it, I could just do it from the config but that isnt working either.

I take it people have been able to set up error pages no problem.

6. Ray

Ray

Remember that the Error Pages module is a different element from the CustomError on the web.config file. And that's where I think people get confused. Yes it is true you do not need to use IIS 7 Manager to make any modifications to the modules it offers. Everything is setup on the web.config file and if you know the specific web.config elements it uses, you can directly code it on the web.config file. You may want to look at these links a bit more information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms689487.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h0hfz6fc.aspx