Downloading (Syncing) MS SQL DB via Webmatrix

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by Muttley, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hi,
    I created a MS SQL DB via the control panel, and then used webmatrix to publish my site via web deploy.
    I now would like to download my site to my computer via webmatrix for updating.

The files download ok, but it won't download the DB - I get various errors, the following is what I think the prob is:

ERROR: Logged-in user must have SQL Server administrator privileges to download SQL databases
    19:50:19: Logged-in user must have SQL Server administrator privileges to download SQL databases
    19:50:19: Could not download the remote site. Logged-in user must have SQL Server administrator privileges to download SQL databases
    19:50:19: Error detail:
    19:50:19: Logged-in user must have SQL Server administrator privileges to download SQL databases
    19:50:19: at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Deployment.WebDeployWorker.Execute(CommandManager commandManager, CertificateValidationService certificateValidationService, Boolean skipHiddenFiles)

How can I fix this please ?
    Thanks for your help.

2. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

Seems that you need system admin rights to the SQL database. In this case we can not provide these rights to you because we're a shared hosting company.

However you can use the SQL backup tool in the control panel to backup your SQL database. This tool will create a .bak file and put it in your App_Data directory. So when you download your application via Webmatrix your .bak file will be in your App_Data directory. Then you can restore the .bak file locally to your SQL database on your computer.

When restoring the SQL database to our hosted SQL Server. You will need to create a new .bak file locally on your computer. Put the .bak File in your App_Data directory of your web application. Then web deploy your web application to our web servers. Once the web application is deployed you can use the Restore tool in our control panel to restore the new .bak file you created locally on your computer onto our host SQL database.

Read more about the SQL backup and Restore tool in our knowledge base article here: http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a1045/how-do-i-generate-or-restore-a-backup-of-my-ms-sql-database.aspx

You might also find this knowledge base article helpful here: http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a1049/how-to-transfer-your-local-sql-database-to-Winhost.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015