DotNetNuke question before I buy

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by SamuelMSr, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hi all, I hope you are having a great day/week!

I am currently using Go Daddy, and for many reasons I plan to switch. They have no support at all for DotNetNuke, and after being told yesterday by a guy from their tech support "you are not as smart as me and should not even try"....well they are gone and I will never use them again.

I want to know if I use this service if I can host my site here and use DotNetNuke if I can place my install in the root of my domain.

I know that in the KB it says it is not "suggested" because other asp.net stuff will not work, but I do not understand that fully. I am still new with DotNetNuke.

I do not want to have to have my dotnetnuke install in a sub folder and have to tell people my website is at www.samuelmsr.com/<folder> or have a sub domain.

I just want to have a really good place to host my DotNetNuke install and a long term partner to work with.

Thanks!!

Sam
    Samuel M. Sr. Designs

2. Oh and I have another question, hoping someone knows.

If I work on my websites locally on my machine is it hard to then move the finished, or mostly finished, product to the web.

3. Ray

Ray

Each ASP.Net web application carry their own applicaiton configuration files (web.config). There are other things that each ASP.Net web application will also carry, such as its own Bin folder or Data folder. If these ASP.Net web applications are on the same root level, you can imagine they will start conflicting with each other. That is why we suggest to our customers to install/upload their ASP.Net to a subfolder and setup that subfolder as an application folder. By setting it as an application folder, you are telling IIS that the web.config and other ASP.Net objects are isolated within that folder and should not conflict with other ASP.Net web application that are uploaded to other subfolders.
    If you only have DNN as your ASP.Net web application, that yes, you can freely upload it to your root. However, as I stated when you do this and you need to upload another type of ASP.Net web application, there may occur some conflicts between the two. But the decision is completely up to you.
    A lot of our customers develope there web sites on their personal computer and to upload it to our web server they simply use FTP. You can also use web deploy, but the most common method and the oldest method to upload files to any web server is FTP.
    On our web servers we run off the Windows 2008 Operating system and we use IIS 7 to host websites. If you really want to ensure the closest compatibility between your computer and our web server than you should have a Windows 2008/IIS 7 environment on your test server. But if you are tight on budget, you can use Vista or Windows 7 and enable IIS 7 services on them. They both come with IIS 7 for free you just need to enable and configure them on your computer. I suggest you first upload your website on your local IIS 7 service, and once you are confident that it is working on your own IIS 7, it should work correctly on our IIS 7 server.

4. Thank you Ray for your response.

If I do put it in a sub folder can I still tell it to point to it when someone types in the link www.samuelmsr.com and pretend like it is not in a sub folder?

5. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015