connecting iis 7 to sub domain

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by JackWebb, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Within my site, I have:

Domain name: jjwllc.com
    Plan: Max
    Secondary URL: jjwllcco.w02.Winhost.com
    Path to Root: E:\Web\jjwllcco\
    FTP: ftp.jjwllc.com
    Secondary FTP: ftp.jjwllcco.w02.Winhost.com
    FTP Username: jjwllcco
    FTP Password: ********

this is a site used to mimic my client's current environment, which is not up to date, but still works in my site.

I added a sub domain within my primary targeting a folder called /test and named test.jjwllc.com

I added a second FTP user called jjwllco_test whose login directory is /test

In IIS 7, when I try to connect to this site, I get an http 401 Unauthorized.
    When I try to connect, I use the following:
    Server name: jjwllcco.w02.Winhost.com
    Site name: test.jjwllc.com
    Next Screen:
    User name: jjwllcco_test
    Password: xxxxxxxx

Can anyone discern what I've got wrong in the mix of parameters and arguments here?

Thanks much,

Jack Webb

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

Sorry Jack, our servers can only allow IIS 7 connection form the main FTP user. You cannot use additional FTP users to connect to our server with IIS 7 Manager.

3. Thanks for the reply, Ray.

And that's ok. It just means (and please confirm this) that I need a second site, with it's own domain name for testing, right?

Or can the two sites coexist temporarily, while the client converts to the new environment? The future environment will be a primary site, and a test site. Both running IIS 7 on different databases.

I guess I'm confused.

4. Ray

Ray

If you need all the functionality of a site account such as its own login, application pool, email domain name, bandwidth, and web space, then you may want to consider registering a new site account. Since the plan is month to month, it is easier to manage and cancel.

But if you merely need to host another web application and share the same application pool and permission as your existing site account then simply creating a folder under your root, setting it as an application folder within your control panel and uploading your web .net application in that folder should work just fine.

My opinion is if this is going to be a massive application and it is the main web site for the business, then spending the extra $4.95 a month maybe a good investment, even if it is only for 3 months. Its up to you.