Change site to new domain, keep old domain as a pointer?

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by MikeB, Feb 14, 2018.

1. I have a working site on Winhost. I'll call it currentsite.com.

I want to change the domain name to newsite.com (for example) and have currentsite.com redirect to newsite.com, including emails.
    • Using Winhost Max plan.
    • currentsite.com is registered and hosted on Winhost.
    • newsite.com was registered at GoDaddy but will be hosted on Winhost.
    • currentsite.com would no longer be used except as a redirect for old customer
    I need to know if the following steps are correct or if there is an easier or better way (maybe just swapping domain names for sites?):
    1. Order a new site under Sites -> Order New Site button
    2. Add the newsite.com under Domains -> Domain Names hosted at Winhost but registered elsewhere
    3. Copy everything from currentsite.com directory, making code changes for newsite.com as necessary.
    4. Set up redirect on currentsite.com to redirect to newsite.com
    5. Set up email pointer from @currentsite.com to @newsite.com
    6. Delete most files from currentsite.com folder since will no longer be used.

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You can switch the domain of your currentsite.com account. Go to the Site Manager - on the bottom left panel there is a Switch Domain link.
    If you want to start fresh, then you can order a completely new site and migrate content.
    If you are going to switch domains and if you had email using currentsite.com, and if the emails are important, then download the emails to your computer before switching domains.

If you have any questions, you can always reach out to our tech support team.

3. Thanks. I assume you mean the Change Domain button. So just to doublecheck:

1) At GoDaddy, point the nameservers for the newesite.com to point to the Winhost nameservers (or later, to Cloudflare's and theirs to Winost's).
    2) At Winhost, change currentsite.com domain to newsite.com domain via the Change Domain button.
    3) At Winhost, add a domain pointer for currentsite.com with Email Alias enabled, and all currentsite.com traffic will go to newsite.com

That's it? I don't need a new site or any rewrite rules?

4. ComputerMan

ComputerMan Winhost Staff

1. Correct.
    2. Correct.
    3. Correct.

In regards to your rewrite rules if you still want the currentsite.com to do the samething it's doing now. You don't need to change the URL Rewrite rules. However, if you want the new domain name to do something with the URL Rewrite rules. Then yes you might need to change them around. It really depends on what you want to do.