cannot connect to sql server express

Discussion in 'Databases' started by jonas, Oct 12, 2009.

1. I just tried to deploy my asp.net website and ran into a problem. Here is the error message: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

It seems as if asp .net cannot find the .mdf sql database in the App_Data folder. The website and the database were created with the Visual studio 2008. Do I have to change the path in the dataset or something?

2. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. it didn't quite work for me.

I followed the steps without any problems until i published the sql server to my local folder "my documents".

then i opened the sql server express studio, opened the file but after i typed in the authentication stuff like server name, username and password i couldn't connect. it connected with an error:(Microsoft SQL Server, Error 53)

i think i did something wrong, because nowhere i actually pointed to the sql server on Winhost.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

Whats the full error message? Typically connection problems from a person's computer to our server is almost caused by the ports 1433 or 14330 being blocked.