Bundles don't work in subdomain, New asp.net app doesn't work in root

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by MobyusMark, May 24, 2020.

1. Ok... this is a long shot, but seeing if anyone has advice -

I'm a bit of a dilettante. I have a few sites/apps published here from a few years ago with multiple domain pointers. The nicest one still relevant is http://bigbytes.mobyus.com/commute.aspx

Now have a new project idea - In Visual Studio I created a new empty (default) Asp.Net app. When I publish to my domain (in a subfolder with domain pointer) none of the CSS comes through. Seems to be using bundles and that functionality is not executing properly. Works fine locally in debug/IIS Express.

Could be because root app is in 4.0 and new app is in 4.7.2, but -

When I publish the new app to the root rather than the subfolder (to see if the web.config or setup of the root app is the issue) I get a different security error and it won't run at all in the root.

The root is mobyus.com - the new domain with the new app is karmador.org which lives in a subfolder.

Let me know if any tips on this. Thanks so much.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

The error I see is complaining about "/Content/css". I don't see a /css directory under /Content, so the reference should be just /Content.

3. Thanks for your response and suggestion. I had tried changing some of the relative paths (~/) to just / as I've had that work on other apps. I've republished the original app. It doesn't break like the one you saw, but none of the css appears.

It seems to be looking for a folder called "bundles" which doesn't physically exist. I assume this is some kind of sorcery (virtual directory? dunno) related to the bundles feature that I'm unfamiliar with. I assume it has something to do with the domain pointer and subfolder - specifically the rewrite rules in Web.config that support this - but I'm not sure.

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Without seeing your actual project, it's difficult to tell, but "bundles" sounds like a missing package/folder with css/javascript references in it. It may be on your local machine, but it did not get published to the server.