Any KB articles explaining how to create tables etc. on MS SQL database

Discussion in 'Databases' started by fd97207, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Are there any KB articles that explain how to create tables etc. once I create my MS SQL database? Does the control panel allow me to write SQL statements to create the tables? If not, how else can I create relational tables? If there is no KB article, perhaps someone could explain in this thread?

2. I am not asking for tutorial on SQL. What I want to know is that does Winhost provide a GUI to create tables? Or, can I execute T-SQL scripts from ssms on the Winhost db?

Also, some follow up questions:
    What version of sql server - standard, express etc. are you using?
    Is the machine on which sql server is running, the same machine on which the website is hosted?
    Is FILESTREAM (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb933993.aspx) enabled on sql server?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. You can create tables using management studio and your SQL scripts. We do have a KB Article on how to connect to our SQL servers using SSMS.

Also our SQL servers are run on their own machines for performance reasons and you can review the following forum post on your FILESTREAM question.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about which version of SQL is currently running.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

The SQL version we offer and run is SQL 2008 web edition. And the SQL server runs off its own box separate from the web server.

You should be able to run T-SQL commands off your SSMS, as long as you pass the proper credentials to our SQL server.

5. Since you don't enable FILESTREAM, do you provide access to some area of the file system where my asp.net application can store files? This area needs to be such that the files are inaccessible directly to a user via http, ftp, etc. but my (and only my) asp.net application should be able to access them. Also if my app is hosted on multiple machines, the storage needs to be accessible to all instances of the app running on various machines.

Perhaps you could enable FILESTREAM and track the storage consumed by it on the file system, and that way ensure users are not exceeding the quota for which they have signed up? As you must know, FILESTREAM stores data in the file system, not in the db.

6. Ray

Ray

I'm afraid the only source where you can store files is under your root and through some kind of subfolder.

Unfortunately, as we stated before SQL FileStream is simply not suited for a shared hosting environment. Sure, we can manually monitor the storage consumption, but if we do that for you than I'm afraid we will have to do it for everyone. So, if we manually monitor storage consumption with FileStream, it can be very labor intensive which can increase our operational cost. If that is the case, then we will not be able to offer low and competitive hosting prices.

7. Thanks Ray for the response. How do your users deal with blob storage then?

8. Ray

Ray

They store it in their tables under the BLOB data type. Its not the most efficient way of storing large data objects but its the only method we can offer.

9. Hi Ray, I have a few more questions. If I go with the basic plan:
    - how many instances of my app will be running? 1?
    - over how many machines will the instances be distributed? 1?
    - with approximately how many other apps will my app be sharing the hosting machine?
    - if the app is hosted on just a single machine, how do you provide fault-tolerance, and deal with server breakdown?
    - On your website, it is mentioned apps run in an isolated pool. What does this mean? Does it mean that each app is alloted a certain # of threads, and memory? How much?

10. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

-Number of instances of your app will be one.
    -Your instance is on one machine.
    -Sites can run multiple apps so there is no accurate count on the number of other apps running on the machine. Probabably in the 100s-1000 range.
    -We use RAID 10 disk arrays with hot swappable hard drives. We'll replace harddrives if there is a failure.
    -Each Basic/Max/Ultimate site is hosted in its own isolated application pool. We set the memory allocation for each site and the amount depends on the plan. The Basic plan gets 100mb and the Max and Ultimate plan gets 200mb. This is listed in the features page.

11. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  12. Ray

Ray

I'm afraid remote debugging is not available on a shared hosting environment.