Any DotNetNuke Installations?

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by Aain, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hey Everyone,

Congratulations on this startup, Winhost. I found you from a link on some other web site (sorry, I can't remember which one.) I was looking for a web hosting company, that was using the latest Microsoft tools and a decent control panel. You seem to have everything that I'm looking for. I'm looking forward to trying/using Winhost.

Has anyone installed DotNetNuke 5.x.x here? If so, how is the performance?

This platform/hardware/infrastructure seems like a perfect fit for DNN, and a great testing facility at $4.95/month.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

I can only suggest that you give it a try and install DNN. I do not foresee any problems running it on our server.

3. Error on DNN Install

I am getting this error message when trying to Install DNN:

System.ArgumentException: Invalid value for key 'attachdbfilename'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString.VerifyLocalHostAndFixup(String& host, Boolean enforceLocalHost, Boolean fixup) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(String connectionString, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions, DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ConnectionString_Set(String value) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..ctor(String connectionString) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues) at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.TestDatabaseConnection(DbConnectionStringBuilder builder, String Owner, String Qualifier) at DotNetNuke.Services.Install.InstallWizard.TestDatabaseConnection() at DotNetNuke.Services.Install.InstallWizard.wizInstall_CustomButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any Ideas?

4. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

your web.config could be messed up.. please post the connectionstring section.

5. I am having the same problems Here is my connection string

<connectionStrings>
    <!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express -->

<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005
    <add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=tcp:s01.Winhost.com;Initial Catalog=DB_1813_bm;User ID=DB_1813_bm_user;Password=******;Integrated Security=False" />
    -->
    </connectionStrings>
    <appSettings>
    <!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules -->

<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005 - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules
    <add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=tcp:s01.Winhost.com;Initial Catalog=DB_1813_bm;User ID=DB_1813_bm_user;Password=******;Integrated Security=False;"/>
    -->

6. Ray

Ray

Try setting up your connection string this way....

<add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=DBServerName;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=DBName;User ID=DBLogin;Password=DBPassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

7. so what is the Data Source then. When I create my DB it says that tcp:s01.Winhost.com is the data source in the string at the bottom of the page. Is that the right source?

8. Ray

Ray

Try just using s01.Winhost.com.

9. I've got DNN 5.0.19 up and running with no issues. It does lag occasionally, but I've found that true of DNN on any server anywhere...

It did require some hit and miss with the install of DNN, but the majority of the issues were with the DNN installer, not the hosting.

10. Ray

Ray

Thanks for that input. I do see this a lot with DNN. From my experience I often encounter issues with some kind of redirect scriipt occurring in the background. If you have a specific issue you would like to share with our members, common issues to watch out for when installing DNN, we would really appreciate it.

11. Any DotNetNuke Installations

I am running DotNetNuke on DiscountASP. I want to add Parent portals using domain names. Do I need to purchase Domain Pointers for each domain. Also, if I use a domain pointer will it automatically pick up on DNN functionality once I register it as a portal in DNN?

12. Ray

Ray

Domain Pointers on Winhost is one of the added features and do not impose additional charges. This does not mean that the domain pointers are a domain name registration. You still need to register the domain name and point it to our DNS server. But the domain pointer itself is free. Try looking at this link about our domain pointer feature.

http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a696/details-on-domain-pointer-service.aspx

13. Unless you are considering moving the site to us you should probably ask the question in the DiscountASP forum . . .

14. Does DotNetNuke was successfully installed?

One of my clients is looking to set a forum for his services and I was just wondering if you could post a few points that should be taken care of during the DotNetNuke installation on Winhost. Can you post URL of your forum so we can take look and see that this is possible?

15. Ray

Ray

16. DNN Install Problems

Hi

I'm having trouble installing DotNetNuke - forgot how quirky it can be! My problem seems to be that the SQL database load scripts can't find the database user declared in web.config, or it doesn't have the right permissions. I created the DB as detailed on here, I've checked the file and the spelling and all looks ok. I've tried editing the db user account in SQL but can't login as the sa user - what's the default password for this user?

17. Try the same password that gets you into the Control Panel.

18. Tried that to no avail - however, I abandoned trying to install v5.2.1 and went for v4.9.5 (which I'm using at the moment on another site) which installed fine :)

19. @Aain - I have DNN 5.22 running here - the site, Philadelphia divorce lawyer blog, is running perfectly!

DNN will suffer performance hits in a shared environment because of the .NET framework and how the application pool will shut down to conserve resources, but I have not noticed that performance hit here. I hosted somewhere else and it was dreadful when the client would ask why does the website sometimes take a minute to load.

20. @JimmyZ - (only 7 months to respond) Thanks for the information. I've noticed that there is now a forum for developers to show off their Winhost sites.

You hit it on the head with regards to performance. I've been concerned about that for a while. When I go to DNN sites, I see how slow they are. It appears when you go to the site inititally, it can about 5 seconds for it to show up. Then, other pages 2-3 seconds.

I'm not sure what's required to get good performance out of a DNN web site without paying for a dedicated server.

Why is your site so speedy? Is it that you don't have a lot of graphics, modules, skins, all of the above?

It's hard to discuss this with my PHP developer friends who's sites appear, and work, instantly.

21. Ray

Ray

DNN is very difficult to gauge because almost every call made may require a new process to spawn. Obviously this can take some time no matter on how fast your connection is or how much server resource is available to you. You hit it on the head when you wondered if it is base off the graphics or the modules installed and initiated. All these things can increase the time for the process to get spawn up. There is really no magic formula to DNN. If you like the complexity and features that DNN can provide then this is the product for you. But if you requirements is more on speed then anything else, then you may want to look at other types of CMS applications.

22. Thanks, Ray. I appreciate your insight.

Damn, you're a wealth of knowledge. That alone is worth way more than the $4.95/month.

23. I agree!