Do I get SSL for domain.com or www.domain.com

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by JohnR, Oct 1, 2020.

1. When I look at my domain in my Control Panel, everything shows just domain.com with no www.

So I assume that means when I purchase the SSL certificate, I buy it for the domain.com.

Do I then force a redirect from www.domain.com to domain.com using web.config as I've seen here?

Thanks.

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Yes, you can do that.

3. I Went and filled out a ticket asking the same thing and was helped by Richard on the Winhost staff. He got me all set up within about 30 minutes.

Apparently, I needed to get a certificate for the domain.com and www.domain is automatically covered.

Elshadriel likes this.
  4. Most all SSL certificate issuers will cover both the WWW and non-WWW variations of your domain by default. You should not need a separate SSL for www and non-www.
    In DNS management you simply select the primary way in which you would like your domain displayed (www or non-www) and redirect the other.

I would recommend checking out Let's Encrypt -- they are a nonprofit, the largest issuer of SSL certs, and best of all -- FREE! :)

5. Thanks great Prof, I've also known about them for awhile - But when was the last time you installed Lets Encrypt on your domains at winhost?

Just asking to make sure it's still achievable to do it now in Jan/2021, because I've also read the procedure gets quite complicated, given users don't have console access to the shared servers and winhost has not provided an automated path.