"Unlimited everything" hosts

Discussion in 'Customer testimonials' started by mjsw, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hey guys,

first of all, I'm very pleased with your service. I'm with you for couple months and I have nothing bad to say about you. I have a question, though:

[Yet Another UNLIMITED EVERYTHING Host]

how you are going to respond to that? Unlimited disk space, unlimited transfer, unlimited ms sql 2008 databases, plus external IP for just $2 more makes me consider their offer, but if you can top it or get close, I will gladly stay as you are my company :)

oh, and they offer mysql dbs and paypal support too

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

We don't intend to "respond" to hosts like that or try top any other host like that. We have no intention to oversell like these hosts. We've never bought an "unlimited" disk space server or bought "unlimited" bandwidth from our upstream provider.

These types of "unlimited" offers don't mean anything because the minute you actually start using a lot of server resoruces, these hosts will cancel your site since you will be costing them more money to host than they are making from you.

Right now we are concentrating on microsoft technology but customers have asked for features like mysql so we will be taking a look at that. Customers have asked for paypal payment options so we are looking at that as well. But we will for sure, never offer any "unlimited" server resource feature.

If you move to any "unlimited" host, good luck.

3. OK I get your point, it sounds too good to be truth for me also, but all I said is that I consider their offer, since one MS SQL DB, no MySql and no .MDF attached DBs makes my life a bit hard here.

I have to ask here and there what people say about that company, is that for real or not and where is the catch as there must be some. Unlimited disk space is possible to offer, but I'm affraid of the site's load time...

4. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Like I stated, we have never bought a server with Unlimited disk space. You are talking about shared hosting - meaning that the server is shared by hundreds of customers. Each one of those hundreds of customers on the server can have "unlimited" disk space. Does that make any sense?

If a handful of customers uploaded all their pictures, music and movie collections to the webserver to take advantage of the "unlimited" disk space, the server would slow to a crawl for ALL the hundreds of customers on the box. That doesn't sound like reliable hosting. And by advertising "unlimited" they are attracting the customers that would want to use a lot of server resources.

The whole "unlimited" thing is a marketing ploy. With us, you can be assured that we are not attracting customers that want to use "unlimited" disk space and make our customer's websites unreliable.

5. Personally, I think sticking with Microsoft products is the way to go as you've obviously invested a lot of time learning the technology and it's an obvious fact that Microsoft products will work best with other Microsoft products.

On the other note about "unlimited" resource hosts; I've been there, and tried that, and I can honestly say that it is not worth it. The host I went with had awful customer support, a lacking feature list, and their bandwidth allocation is shady at best. Those kinds of hosts are only remotely acceptable for very very small websites.

6. There is no such thing as "unlimited" anything in shared hosting. Try using more bandwidth or disk space than they want you to and see how long the account lasts. I guarantee you that there is a clause in their AUP or TOS that says they can close an account for any reason, and they use that clause to kick out customers who actually try to use a lot of resources. This is common stuff.

But as Curtis mentioned, the main problem with "unlimited" is it often attracts a certain kind of customer that you don't necessarily want to have. Not just us as a host, but you as a neighbor on the server. We're all better off letting the "unlimited" hosts handle those (and the problems they can cause).

7. If you sign up with a host like that, your site will be: slow, down often, and support will be garbage. You will see messages like 'out of memory', 'SQL Query Execution Timeout', and various other things you don't get here.

Regarding hosting other technologies, I would love a paid option for FFMPEG. It could be on a dedicated server to prevent it from slowing down .NET hosting. If you do add other technologies, I'd say make it another hosting plan. PLEASE DON'T RISK THE OUTSTANDING .NET HOSTING WE ALL ENJOY NOW.

8. OK, I've tried them and it isn't as bad as it seems at first. Things that made me to do it are:
    - Unlimited DBs (I have already created about 50 of them just to see if they get mad, but they didn't). I use these hostings for development purposes so it is HUGE advantage to have possibility of doing such tests on both MS sql and MySql.
    - Paypal payments.
    - Own IP address for $2 per month. I can even purchase more than one and put each of my sites on unique IP.
    - 6 application pools (I can configure each separately, for ex. I can have 3x NET 4 and 3x .NET 3.5) in cheapest pack ($8 per month or $5 if you prepaid).
    - emails has no lag. Although there is a limit of 1000 messages per hour that I can send.
    - affiliate program - put a banner on your page and get 10% discount, discounts for refering friends etc. Haven't tried this but with unlimited pages I surely will do it some day.

Real disk space that I can use is 25GB and so is the monthly transfer. I was assured that if I stay within that limit I should have no problems with admins, warrnings and bans. Using more is possible although they will look closely on what you are doing in your account in such case.

A bad thing that I can think of is that my site loads a bit slower than it does here. Here it is about 0.07s while there it is 0.15s, but ftp transfer is faster, I can reach full 6Mbits.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have not closed my account here and I wish to stay your customer, although I'm just pointing out that things in hosting world change and you should evolve.

Hope you don't missunderstand me, I'm just looking for best hosting option for my needs and for now that company, that you have edited its name out from my first post, leads :)

I have wrote you a nice testimonial on one of the hosting reviews page. Hope that it will make it up for all my comments in this thread :)

9. There is always someone who will offer you more for less money. No matter who you are. There are a lot of hosts who will offer you more than your new host for less money.

You can keep going down, down, down the food chain, and eventually we all end up with hosting at $0.01 per month! Woo hoo!

Oh, by the way, it will all be run by one or two giant companies that can afford to give you free hosting (while they sell you a lot of other crap you don't want), and they won't give a damn about the service they provide. They won't have to. You won't have anywhere else to go.

In the meantime, you can host here, at a small company that is passionate about what it does, but needs to make a profit in order to survive.

10. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

I bet you anything these "unlimited" hosts run everything - website, databases, email, dns...etc all on the same box. (You should check because that's not good. How much ram do they put on the box?) And they give you unlimited everything with all that stuff running on the same server.

I bet you these hosts don't even own the servers - they probably just host with some dedicated hosting company most likely located far away from the hosts offices. They can't even walk into the datacenter that they host their customers in.

Everything is great when there are a few customers but just wait til everybody on the box starts setting up their 50 databases and hosting all their sites on the box. Your site will only get slower and slower and then the upselling will begin.

We wish you luck.

11. Yes, DB and site do have the same IP, but DNS differ. I don't know about how many machines they got, from what I can see from ASP NET level I'm on 16 AMD processors machine:
    Server Information
    OS Version : Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
    Runtime Version : 2.0.50727.4200
    Processors Count : 16
    Memory Assigned : 76791808
    Uptime : 9 days 13:40
    Iteractive User : False
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE : AMD64
    PROCESSOR_REVISION : 1a05
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER : Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL : 6
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS : 16

Anyway, install MySql and Paypal support and you will have me back here. Also add external IPs to purchase, that makes real deal as for $2 you seems to have an dedicated server, at least for the outside world and many people would go for it...

Hank - this is war, there are hosts for $2.95 already. I don't know if it all ends on 0.01, maybe 0.99 or something like that and as you said big companies will always eat those small ones, just as malls eat small shops but don't worry and try to beat them with quality if you can't with price. MySql is free, paypal costs around the same as credit cards, external ips will make you make profits so just work on it and it will be good! :)

Good luck guys!

12. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

We wish you good luck as well.

13. Yeah, we're aware of all the hosts out there.

Here's the bottom line as far as ultra low price hosts are concerned - they are either:
    A new (typically one or two person) company who thinks their key to success is undercutting everyone on earth.​
    or:
    A really, really big company willing to lose money on the account in order to sell you something else.​
    That's it.

There are serious downsides to both of those scenarios.

If you play the guitar and you want an amplifier you can go to Guitar Center or some other mega-joint and buy something off an assembly line for $200 or you can go to the boutique shop on the other side of town and buy a handmade tube amp for $1200. They both do the same thing, but they do it very, very differently.

Which is to say, if you care about quality, the bottom line is not cost.

But what's really funny is we're already super inexpensive! So if it was me, I'd be buying the Winhost boutique amp. That's all I'm saying. ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  14. My gosh! $4.95/ month isn't cheap enough for these people? I just signed up with Winhost last week and i'm absolutely thrilled to get MS SQL Server at such a price, with easy interfaces, and good response time. I drink one less shot of southern comfort a month and there's my payment!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  15. Ray

Ray

Let us not forget MySQL is now added to the $4.95 price.

16. There are always going to be people who choose what they buy based solely on price. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't expect us to join the race to the bottom.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.