Excellent provider for the cost.

Discussion in 'Customer testimonials' started by jharkness, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I'll start off by saying that so far, Winhost has been mostly awesome.

Providing full FTP, IIS7 and Sql Management studio access makes life so much better than the other hosting companies I've looked at. The servers are relatively quick and they provide a fair amount of storage space and bandwidth. Their dashboard is very clean, and usually pretty quick to load; there have been times where it barely crawled along.

Another awesome feature is the site statistics reports tool, it runs great and the information is very useful.
    The price is excellent, giving much more for the same cost as competitors.

The few annoyances I've had so far aren't really dealbreakers...
    The provided email server can be a pain to get set up with a few mail clients, because it doesn't seem to support password encryption during authentication. It seems the few mail clients I've set up try to auto-configure themselves to either the IMAP port (which I have yet to connect to successfully) or password encryption... both of which will cause the client to fail send/receiving messages.

Another annoyance is the default naming convention for ftp accounts and databases/users. Each ftp account takes the format of main_username_<user-entered-value>. As the main username is my name, its weird giving someone else access to the server as 'myname_theirname' as a username. Database names are prefaced with the same idea, except DB_<some-number>_<user-value>... again, nothing functionally bad, just a little annoyance.

So... overall excellent provider for awesome price. I've had no real issues to date, just a couple annoyances.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. The naming conventions (prefixes) are necessary to allow flexibility in account or user naming. The names have to be unique on the network, so if we didn't append a unique identifier you would have a hard time finding a name that wasn't already in use. The more customers we add the more frustrating it would become.

Glad you're happy with just about everything else though.

3. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

This is the downside of using Microsoft FTP service; it relies on Windows user account which of course is system wide.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.