editing web.config?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Leisulin, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I just got started here, and for the moment only wanted to upload an .html file to become the default document. And I think I've been able to do that after reading some of the posts. What I wonder is: since the default default document provided by Winhost does not have the default name for the default document, is there a web.config file or something like it sitting around that is specifying it AS the default document, and is it possible for me to actually edit (or even inspect) that file manually, instead of using IIS7 Manager?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. modification to my question

Ok, now I see the web.config file. It wasn't there before. Wouldn't it have been needed from the start to make the naked domain name go to the non-standard Winhostdefault.htm file? Sorry, I'm new....

3. web.config for the site would be sitting in the root directory, you can FTP and see the physical file.

This part of webconfig is where it tells IIS to serve a default document (homepage); in this case 'home.html' is being set as a default document.

<system.webServer>
    <defaultDocument enabled="true">
    <files>
    <add value="home.html" />
    </files>
    </defaultDocument>
    </system.webServer>
    Winhost's default page is index.html