Web site by IP address or another name

Discussion in 'Customer testimonials' started by Zailgan, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. My site works well by main domain name, but it doesn't work by IP address. Also I tried to make forwarding from my another hosting on this IP and it doesn't work too, the same problem as with IP address.
    IIS shows the following error
    HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found

But it works nice by regular domain name of my hosting. Why?

2. Ray

Ray

By default all accounts come with a shared IP address. So you cannot pull up your site using the IP address. The only time you get a Unique IP address is when you install SSL on your account. This does not mean that the shared IP address is a dynamic IP address. In fact it is Static meaning it will never change. People often get confused with the terms Shared/Unique and Static/Dynamic. They are not the same. To clarify, all the Winhost IP address are Static, but they can be either shared or unique.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. Basically you want to say that IP address is not assigned only to my web site. It can be used by another web sites.
    Mu issue is in the following:
    I have web site company.com in another place. I created web site on your web hosting and want that it can be opened by the following URL test.company.com. I can create DNS for it, but it doesn't work. Is it possible to make it workable?

4. Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.