Domain Redirect from WinHost

Discussion in 'DNS/Domain names' started by GScom, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have a few domain redirects working great for my domains owned by Winhost and hosted by Winhost.

I now have a domain registered by Winhost but need it to redirect to a site outside of Winhost (it is an Azure hosted site so something.cloudapp.net).

Is there a way to do this? My current solution is to have my redirects in my Default.aspx page - but in this instance would prefer to not have this domain touch my current Winhost hosted sites?

I was going to try to figure out how to do a CNAME record but this domain doesn't have a "Manage" link under the DNS column. Should I add a domain pointer and then a CNAME record?

Thanks for your help!

Shaw

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Hi Shaw,

Yes, you need to add the domain as a domain pointer first before you can manage it's DNS. Make sure you also point the name servers to Winhost.

3. Hey - I still point the NS to Winhost even if the site is being hosted elsewhere? Thanks for the super quick reply.

4. I added the domain pointer and see the DNS record options in the system now - looks like a specific IP is necessary though to edit the basic records?

5. I wish we could edit messages so that my posts don't look so silly.

It looks like it is working exactly as needed but why it is working is confusing to me.

I added a CNAME record for www.greeksol.com and left the A Record still pointing to my Winhost site because it can't be edited to point to another domain - only an IP. However, it still works.