Help needed - publishing small access DB

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Tumbleweed, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. For my club, I created a small database on my laptop in MS Access 2013. It was a learn-as-you-go effort since I've never developed a database before. Altogether it's 21 tables, 16 queries, 27 forms and 5 reports. But it can only be accessed from my PC.

Now the club wants to make it available to all members. Can I move it as-is to Winhost and let the members access it there? Or would I need to rewrite it in some other format first?

Any advice would be extremely welcome!

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

You could move the database "as is," but you would need to develop a website written in asp, asp.net or php to access the database (i.e. the reports you made cannot accessed "as is". You would have to remake the reports in the form of a website.) In other words, Microsoft Access would form the back-end of your website, but you must develop the front-end. The other option is to convert your Microsoft Access database into a SQL Server database. Use SQL Server as your back-end database, and you can then connect to that database using Microsoft Access. More information can be found my blog.

3. I run multiple Access FE/SQL Server BE database applications this way. You WILL probably experience performance degradation when pushing your data to the cloud.