I want to know Winhost is suitable for my requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by diski, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Hi Guys,

I developing tools site which will use windows process to execute the EXE and showing result on web page? Shall i consider WinHost Max plan?

Thanks.

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

For security, we do not allow EXEs to execute on the webserver.
    I'm not sure what your app is supposed to do, but perhaps you can convert it to a web app which is allowed to run on our platform.

3. It is like calling process. Is that possible?

4. lets say i have phantomjs.exe by using which i can take screenshot of any website.

5. Yes, your own process, which won't work. Your .exe file will not be allowed to execute.

If you stop and think about all of the potentially very bad things executables can do on a server, you'll understand why it would be a very bad idea to allow any random .exe to run.

Security issues aside, it would also be a potential server resources issue. We have no way of knowing whether a customer's program is efficient or would continually monopolize all the resources on the server. Or, you know, crash the server every time it ran.

That's why allowing random customer written (or third-party) executables to run on the server doesn't really work in a shared environment.